Wednesday, August 8, 2012

-23-


Blair Wainwright had been a police officer when she was human. Response to an armed robbery and twelve gun shot wounds later and she had been given a chance to live forever. Rules and their enforcement had been her life. Here she was probably having to make a decision that would go against everything she's known in both of her lifetimes.


"Officer Wainwright, how are you?" Jaylee greeted the cop after the show. She and Blair had been friends for a while. She always wondered how the girl had come to be a police officer. She pictured Blair more as a preschool teacher.

"Mayor Alto requests your company at her residence." 

Jaylee frowned, "Did she say why?"

Blair shook her head. "She did say it was important though."

"Tell Mayor Alto that she has to give me a reason before I can agree to a meeting."



Just then Jaylee's phone rang, Jaylee checked the caller ID and frowned in annoyance when she found that the number was blocked. "Hello?"

"Jaylee Winter."

"Vita."

"Has my message been delivered?"

"Yes, it has. I'm not coming Vita."

"You're not? But Mrs. Winter, it would be a shame if those three beautiful children have to grow up without their mother. I mean, things happen, you can go to jail or who knows, maybe you'll have an accident. Or they may just get taken away."

"Don't you dare threaten my children."

"I'm just giving you a heads up that's all. I'll see you in a half hour?"

"Sure, I'm on my way." Jaylee hung up the phone begrudgingly. Vita had left her alone for years, suddenly the woman was hounding her again and Jaylee knew the reason, she had developed a following of humans and vampires alike, her progress was a thorn in Vita's side.


Mathew had worked hard all day, and he loved his wife and son but he was in one of those moods where he wanted nothing more than to be alone with his bed and the pillows. He'd taken a steaming hot shower and changed into his most comfortable shorts. 

He nearly jumped out of those same shorts when the bedroom door flew open and Jamie rushed in.

"What in the hell...!" He said clutching at his chest.

"Get up now and get dressed. Blair just called me, said something about Jaylee heading to Vita's house."

"Well maybe they're just going to talk things over."

Jamie's eyes narrowed, "I'm sorry but you're not here to take up space Mathew and you've been freeloading for years now get up off your ass and get dressed."

Mathew sighed, his down time was fun while it lasted.


Jaylee was ushered inside the house nearly as soon as she'd arrived. Vita Alto's mansion was not what she thought, sure it was massive but it had a lot of space which was being poorly used. The mansion was immaculately decorated though.

Jaylee found Vita sitting behind her desk, the woman folded the laptop when Jaylee entered. "Ah, Mrs. Winter you're here." She adjusted her seating in a chair that was built for beauty rather than comfort. "Everyone deserves a second chance, do you agree Mrs. Winter?"

Jaylee answered her with silence. Vita frowned and continued. "Fine, let's play it your way, have a seat."


Jaylee dropped onto an alligator skin chair, Vita came around her desk. "Humans are afraid of things they cannot explain. The consumption of blood is taboo, living more than eighty years is considered a feat. In their minds we are not supposed to exist. Humans are shallow minded, their fear leads them to violence. The deaths of entire clans is nothing but a story for you, but I've been there, I've seen the carnage and I've felt the sting on loss."

"But it makes no sense to leave a town every time you've supposedly lived out your span. I'll assume you probably live in a town ten years tops?" Jaylee took a closer look at Vita, "I don't want to do that Vita, I don't want my children to have to do that. Egypt looks like my sister, Claus now looks like my father and people are starting to talk."

"Jaylee what you are looking at is starting a society, that means rules and regulations, a brand new government. Jaylee, I'm going to give you an ultimatum, you can either stop what you're doing on your own or I will have to make you stop."

"You're threatening me again now? I don't care Vita, I'm not stopping."

"Well then you're just going to have to stay here until I can figure out what to do with you."


It took a full minute for Jaylee to fully understand Vita's words, and another five minutes for her to realize that Vita was not joking. Jaylee jumped out of the chair and tried to run for the door, but Vita grabbed her arm and swung her back into the chair. Jaylee jumped up and aimed a punch at Vita, the older vampire stood by calmly. Jaylee was horrified when her entire body froze.

"Jaylee you are a baby, I have had centuries of living and mastering my gift."


Vita raised her arm and Jaylee's body flew into the air and hit the ceiling hard. Vita brought her arm down and Jaylee hit the floor.


Jaylee groaned loudly, then her body went limp. "Hmm, that was deliciously easy." Vita chuckled, she snapped her finger and a woman came into the room.  "Layla would you take our guest to her room. Eduardo knows what to do with her."

"Yes Ms. Alto."

8 comments:

  1. Oh no. Sheesh Vita.

    Your Vita-Power pictures were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It was totally a coincidence that those pics came out so well *blush*

      Delete
  2. Vita get a grip. Jaylee is doing the right thing, change can be a good thing.

    Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Vita it's all about the power, it doesn't matter if it's the right thing or not.

      Delete
  3. I loved how you had the older vap over power her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm glad you think it's good--lol it was totally by chance

      Delete
  4. Wow! Vita had not trouble at all handling Jaylee! I hope that Jaylee will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmm...please don't kill me when you finally see what happens... *guilty face*

      Delete