Sunday, July 22, 2012

-19-


"What are you doing Daddy?" Egypt tip-toed to peer onto the chemistry table. 

Claus smiled down at his curious daughter, "Well, I'm supposed to be doing this in the lab down town so you can't tell anybody."

"I won't." Egypt made a zipping motion across her lips.

"I'm trying to develop new cold and flu medication. I'm mixing different chemicals, I will go to the lab...eventually, and try this drug on live subjects, but for now I have to work out the bugs."

Egypt watched her father for a while, but it wasn't long before she got bored of the bubbling liquids and acrid odors coming from the various beakers and test tubes.


She joined her younger siblings at the the block table. "Don't!" She said pulling a blue block out of Cupid's mouth, lately he had begun to gnaw on everything.

"I told him not to, but he doesn't listen to me." Sahara put in. The older girls ignored Cupid's exaggerated pout, it didn't have the same effect on them as it did adults.


When Jaylee woke up it was nearly noon, she sighed as she got out of bed, she needed some excitement in her life, her kids were all independent now, Snowie was caught up in her own life and Claus, in his old age, had fallen into a routine that bored Jaylee beyond belief.

Little did she know that she was about to get her wish for excitement. Jaylee went downstairs to get the mail, she had heard Mathew coming a long time ago so she dallied at the mailbox. "What do you want?" She demanded as soon as he stepped off the sidewalk onto the Winters' property.

"I uh...I'm looking for Snowie."

"Why?"

"Because I have to talk to her."

Jaylee was tempted to start an argument with Mathew, she needed a good screaming match, the only problem was that Mathew would not indulge her, she could smell his fear and it annoyed her. "She's upstairs in her room."

"Thank you."


It had been a week since the incident, Snowie and Mathew had been driving themselves crazy, guilt and confusion on Mathew's part and anger and rejection on Snowie's part. Mathew found Snowie's bedroom pretty easily, she had been standing at the window so she saw him approach. 

"I'm surprised Jaylee let you inside." She told him.

Mathew shrugged, "I'm sorry." He told her without beating around the bush. "Please don't say anything Snowie, I feel guilty as it is, and I missed the hell out of you."

Snowie sat on her bed, "I missed you too, but Mathew there isn't going to be anything between us other than friendship."

Mathew sat beside her. "I want more than just a friendship Snowie, but first we've got to talk."


Mathew told Snowie a story about a troubled child, who despite everything in his life, managed to be a loving person. Snowie in turn told him about her overprotective father and big brother and how, with aged parents and Claus being stubborn, Jaylee was the only person she could confide in. With a new understanding of each other, Mathew and Snowie made the leap they had been avoiding. They had finally moved from being just friends to boyfriend and girlfriend.


In the weeks that followed their new found love had begun to play on Jaylee's nerves. "You're shitting with me." She snapped when she went downstairs to work out early one morning. "It's freaking, six in the morning! Did you sleep here Mathew?"

"Yeah."

"Oh I swear to God..."


"What's the problem this time Jay?" Snowie asked. "Why can't you just be happy for me?"

I would if you weren't in a relationship with Mathew Dark. Jaylee thought. "It's cute that you have a boyfriend now and all but he's here all the time, he sleeps here...what kind of example are you setting for my daughters Snow? I'll appreciate it if you would find another place to spend your...ridiculously long nights."

Mathew blushed, Snowie frowned. "Mind your own business."

"I would if my room wasn't right next door to yours, those walls are thin you know."

"Really? Claus sleeps like a baby."

Jaylee massaged her temples, she shot Mathew a sour look and walked away.

10 comments:

  1. That wasn't very nice of Jaylee, I felt bad for Matthew, being subjected to that argument. But they do need to get their own place so Snowie can scream all she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Mathew doing???? Long nights with Snowie, nice but Jaylee needs to back off. She can't tell them what to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's her house...technically it's Agnes' and Claus' house, but you get what I mean. :D

      Delete
  3. Quite an awkward situation. I guess Snowie really should have thought about things before allowing Mathew to stay like that. A bit rude on her part since she is a guest there too. I agree with Jaylee on this one. Snowie having Mathew staying the night is really not appropriate there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's Snowie, she's kinda the spoiled baby of the family, she doesn't really care lol

      Delete
  4. ~ O-o,looks like trouble!
    ~ Sorry,small comment! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay just needs an excuse to be pissed off all the time since her fathers died.

      Delete
  5. I like how Snowie did not back down. She let Jaylee know that yeah, the walls are thin! I had to laugh at that. I'm glad that Snowie and Matthew are together now. Matt is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I adore him! I couldn't help but to beg Lcky for him :)

      Delete