Sunday, May 27, 2012

-2-


"Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!" Snowie stood as still as a statue as she held her niece. The tiny baby seemed so fragile and she was afraid to break her. Agnes had gone to make a bottle and asked Snowie to hold on to Egypt until she was done. She was amused when she came back and found her teenage daughter standing in the same position she'd left her.

"Don't have kids Snowie, I beg you." She rescued Egypt from her frightened aunt and stuck the bottle into the baby's mouth.


Jaylee had taken up performing magic tricks. "I know what you're trying to do." Claus said from the chemistry set that he was reacquainting himself with.

"Oh yeah? What am I trying to do Dearest Husband?"

"You're planning something and your little magic tricks are so you can blame your thing on something when you finally do it."

"Claus what you said made no sense, but I understand what you're trying to say." Jaylee tapped the wand to her forehead. "I'm not planning anything, why would you even think something like that I'm simply brushing up on my conjuring skills. A coin here, butterflies there."

"Jaylee Winter, I've got my eyes on you."


The Winters were usually up before the sun, the horizon was just turning an inky purple and Jaylee was already dressed in her magician  attire and impressing her sister-in-law. Claus grunted his displeasure, he wanted desperately to know what his wife was planning. She had been driving herself insane ever since her meeting with Jamie. Claus hoped that Jaylee wouldn't get herself in trouble, then he reminded himself that he was the one with the short temper.

"Go get dressed quickly or we'll be late." Jaylee was telling Snowie when he finally pulled himself from his miserable thoughts.

"What? Where are you going?"

"Claus, you're taking me to the park so that I can set up a show."

"Oh." Claus had forgotten he'd promised Jaylee that he'd go with her. "I really don't want to be involved with whatever it is you're planning."

"I'm not planning anything, I've already told you. It's just that I haven't used my abilities in a while. After I summoned the mummy to help me find a cure for your curse, I realized that I missed the exhilaration I got from wielding my power. Even though I'm just doing cheap party tricks, it's enough for now."

"For now?"

"Yes, for now. We'll talk more about this later."  


As Snowie came down the stairs her brother and sister-in-law got up and jumped into Jaylee's rust-bucket. Snowie frowned, "I want to drive, or can I at least have shot gun?"

"Get your fat butt in the backseat." Claus snapped at his little sister.

"I know I have a fat butt, it's what men like the most about me." Snowie shot back as she got in the back.

"You mean boys."

"No, I mean men, some older than you."

Claus spun around to better argue with his little sister, "Stop it, I swear!" Jaylee shouted over the pair. "I will put the both of you out on the side of the road and you will have to walk to the park or home."

Claus turned around in his seat, Snowie proceeded to kick the back of her brother's chair. Jaylee hid her smile behind her hair.


Jaylee found the Events Manager and began to wow the woman with her tricks.

"If one thing is certain, it is that you do enjoy what you do Jaylee. I will call you to arrange your show time."

"Oh! I got the job? Thank you so much!"


Back home, the Winter women congregated in the living room, from the eldest to the youngest. Snowie was complaining to her mother about school and how she was not allowed to see Tanner, who she claimed she was in love with. 

The phone rang, Jaylee answered it. 

"You do not have time to go on dates, you should be concentrating on school. Boys are only after one thing, and once you give it to them they lose interest in you."

"Oh come on Agnes, I have a show tomorrow, why don't you all come watch. Snowie can invite Tanner and I can keep an eye on them from the stage. Claus will stay home with Egypt."

"You're the baby's mother, it should be you who's staying home with her but you're too busy doing party tricks for a few coins."

Jaylee rested Egypt on her shoulder and turned so her mother-in-law could get the full effect of her glare. "My intentions were to hire a babysitter, before I was even sure of the time I asked Claus to come see the show, but he says that he wants to stay home and rest for work instead. I ask my husband before I act Agnes, I sit home with he baby all day, I never ask you or Jack to help you do it by choice. If you're implying that I'm a bad mother then maybe you should consider your own actions before you judge."

"And what does that mean?" Agnes spat back, her words dripping venom.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about Agnes." Jaylee snapped and strode away with her baby in her arms. She wasn't sure if Agnes hated her because she was Erik's daughter, or because she was Claus' wife but whatever it was Agnes picked at her all the time and she was growing tired of it.


Agnes got up before everyone the next morning. She went to the nursery and spent some time with Egypt. The baby gurgled and cooed in her grandmother's arms, she tried to grab at the woman's snow white hair but Agnes quickly held her lower. She had learnt the hard way not to let Egypt get a grip on her hair or jewelry. 

"How's Grandma's baby this morning? Hmm?"  Agnes loved her granddaughter, it was true, she and Jack doted on the baby, Claus nor Jaylee had to ask them to help out with Egypt. Jaylee hadn't told Claus about their argument, and she was not about to admit she was wrong.


 Later that day, Jaylee had donned a new outfit and was resting before her big show. Snowie was anxious about her date. She wanted Jaylee to wake up and talk to her, she wanted Jaylee to leave out of the house now so that she could hurry up and get to the park.


When they finally did make it to the park, Snowie hopped out of the car and sprinted to the dark skinned boy. Jack was about to follow her but Jaylee grabbed her father-in-law's arm and towed him to the stage. It was not at all what Jaylee was expecting. The decorations had been moved and there were no props, much to Jaylee's displeasure. What made her angrier was that there weren't even any lights. With a heavy exhale Jaylee pushed her anger away, she would make the most of this experience.


The crowd was a small one, Jaylee who went by the stage name Eternity, was not well known in the town, but she was determined that Eternity would be well known by the end of the night.



Because of the late night, his family was still sleeping when Claus woke up, fed his daughter and left for work. He was working as an EMT this week, he loved his job. It reminded him of being in the tomes and having to improvise to stay alive, but the life he was saving was somebody else's which only added to the adrenaline rush.


Egypt's crying brought Jack into the nursery. "What's the matter?" He cooed and scooped the baby up from the crib. Holding her on his shoulder he patted her back lightly and strolled around the room humming a lullaby until the baby fell asleep. Technically this was his only grandchild, Agnes had Maranda and although he loved Erika like his own daughter, she was not. 


"Are you sick?" Claus asked when he came home from work and found Jaylee in bed. 

"No, why?" You've been in this room since yesterday. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Jaylee said quickly. 

"I know you better than that." He climbed onto the bed and puller Jaylee into his embrace. 



"Am I a bad mother? I mean, I could spend more time with Egypt."

"What are you talking about? You spend all day with her."

"Agnes doesn't seem to think so."

"Jay, my mother is old, she'll find anything to be displeased about. You're a great mother, in fact, nothing is sexier than a woman who can take care of business." Claus winked.

"Oh yay!" Jaylee grinned and climbed on top of him.

10 comments:

  1. I like that chapter and can't wait for more. ☻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another baby on the way... Jaylee a bad Mum, I don't think so. Snowie looked like she loved that baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Snowie literally stood there and ignored all of my commands until Agnes came back into the room. She was scared to death. But the next one, she'll adore.

      Delete
  3. I love Jaylee's stage name, it suits her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claus is class through and through ...."get your fat butt in the back seat" haha
    Jack is such a sweetie. Agnes got very lucky there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Claus is so much like his father. I didn't play the game for days when Jack died. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Claus and Snowie are so funny together! Jaylee has to be referee. I can't believe Agnes had the nerve to criticize Jaylee. I'm glad that Claus was able to reassure Jaylee that she is a good mother because she really is!

    I keep falling in love with each generation. You make such good characters, Pixx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blushing! I'm glad that you enjoy my characters because I usually beat myself up wondering if my chapters make sense, and figuring out personalities for each character...*exhale* your comment was such a breath of fresh air.

      Delete