Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winter Legacy -1-


"I don't believe this!" Agnes complained to her older sister Cornelia. "Apparently my dearest husband's father was involved in some underhanded business, some debt and a few bounced checks later and we can't afford this house." Agnes waited as Cornelia spoke on the other line. "How do I know? I checked the bank, Erik is going to have hell to pay for trying to hide this from me!"


As soon as Erik had gotten up and had breakfast Agnes rounded on him. "We're broke!" She snapped.

Erik was taken aback. "Well medical school wasn't cheap Agnes." He said lightheartedly. "And it's no secret that Dad was terrible at managing his money, after Mom died...we both got a bit carried away."

"Carried away? Where are we supposed to live Erik?"


"I've already arranged for a house to be built on my mother's property near the beach. We're going to be fine Agnes, I've got this under control. Plus, when I become a world famous doctor we won't have anything to worry about."


"Erik, this is not funny." Agnes frowned. Erik ignored his wife and pulled her in to a warm hug.

"We're going to be fine Agnes, trust me." Agnes had lived on the lap of luxury her entire life, her biggest fear was having to live pay check to pay check unsure of how she would make ends meet. As her husband Erik's job was to provide for her, he had promised that Agnes would never have to work a day in her life and that was one promise he would keep even if he had to sell the clothes off his back.


"Erik, why didn't you sell the property and keep the house?" Agnes questioned as she looked at the empty lot.The view of the ocean was spectacular but it's emptiness was disheartening. 

"Because I thought we needed a fresh start." Erik murmured as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Think about it, you'll have a house of your own that you would be able to decorate however you wanted."


Erik stepped back and admired the lot, he could see what Agnes could not, a lovely garden on the right side, a pool out back, a tree house for their future kids to play in.

"Erik..." Agnes' voice trailed off, she could see how pleased her husband was with his decision, with the empty lot that held only a mailbox and a garbage can. She sighed and rubbed her neck. She had not seen the blueprints, knowing her husband they could end up living in the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  What if the house was not big enough? Will they have enough money to add a room?

"I trust you," She said finally, "But if this house doesn't turn out the way I want it I'll move in with my sister until you make enough money to fix it."



Erik boasted about the contractor he'd hired, he checked on the progress of his future home regularly, the closer it came to completion, the more excited he became. Three weeks before the date they were supposed to vacate their present home, the house they would raise their family in was completed. Agnes took over visiting the house, she chose the flooring, the wall colors and of course there was the task of decorating. Three days to the date they were supposed to vacate, they packed up their belongings and moved into their home.


"This is lovely." Erik commented, he hadn't seen the completed house before they moved in and he was well pleased with the result. Agnes had done a wonderful job with the decorations, it felt warm and homey inside.


"I know we agreed that I wouldn't work but I've decided to start a daycare, it will give me practice for our own kids." Agnes smiled. "I've already had the back room turned into a nursery."

Erik shrugged. "Whatever makes you happy."

"Stained wood ceilings will make me happy." She grinned at Erik. "Jack, yes my husband okayed the ceiling changes. Alright I'll meet with you tomorrow."


Erik mused, the house was small, comfortable for a newly married couple, but he was already meeting with the contractor to have the space expanded.



Agnes went to the park ten minutes before the meeting was supposed to start, she had played a game of chess to pass the time. In fact, the contractor took so long to show up that the game ended without him. Just as Agnes was preparing to leave the man ran up to her.


"Mrs. Darling, I'm sorry, I was on a conference call with my boss and I just couldn't get away."

"You're late." Agnes snapped.

Jack blinked, "Um...I just acknowledged that fact." One of his eyebrows rose. "Now, about your stained wood ceilings."

Agnes was taken aback, she was a Crumplebottom, she was respected her entire life, and here was this man with the freakish colored hair and he was back-talking her. "You are a pain." She told him, they spent a lot of the time she was having the house furnished and completed arguing.


"Yes. I want only the living room and dining room done." She told him. "And I want it done properly Jack. The wood panels, I want them exactly two inches wide, not too dark...."


"Woah, woah, woah! It doesn't work like that Mrs. Darling." Jack chuckled, "We have to talk about types of wood. You live near the ocean so perhaps cedar wood..."

Agnes gave the man a sour look. "I'm not a child Mr. Winter, watch your tone with me. I want mahogany ceilings, it is your job to give me what I want."

Jack stuck his hands in his pockets, an amused smile on his lips. "Fine." It would be more money in his pockets when the salty breeze eventually wore the wood down. He strode away, shouting over his shoulder that he would call her to arrange a time to check out the ceilings.



"He's cute!" Cornelia sang behind her sister, thoroughly startling Agnes.

"He's a pain in the ass Cornelia." Although she had to admit that Jack Winter was a looker. 

"Really? He did the floors in Mortimer's room when we renovated, he's pretty damn good at his trade. I found him amusing."

Agnes grumbled something about her sister liking foolishness and having to head home.


When she got home she found Erik with his head buried in a book. Medical journals would become Erik's constant companions in the future. "How did the meeting go?" He asked without looking up.

"It went." Agnes muttered and went to the kitchen to start dinner.


Agnes had learnt to cook from their family's housekeeper who was like a grandmother to her and Cornelia. Cooking soon became a comforting activity,  when Agnes was feeling any emotion strongly she could be found in the kitchen. Agnes always thought about her future husband and children, to be a good wife and mother she would have to know how to take care of her household. 


"Are you going to eat?" Agnes asked her husband as she sat down at the table.

"As soon as I'm done with this chapter." His reply was absent as he was busy trying to commit what was read to memory. 


Agnes was done eating by the time her husband was done reading, Erik skipped behind her to the kitchen, he was hungry but not for food. Agnes giggled playfully and skipped off to the bedroom, Erik followed, but to his wife's surprise, the man completely ignored her half naked form on the bed, instead he turned to the drawer, grabbed some clothes and headed to the bathroom.

"Where are you going?" She asked him as he walked through the doorway.

"I have to be at the hospital by 5 a.m."


Erik lit the candles and climbed int the bathtub, he moaned as the warm water surrounded him, caressing him and kneading the cramps from his body.


4 comments:

  1. Their marriage doesn't seem to be going very smoothly! If he hadn't died, I wonder if it would have lasted!

    Looking forward to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see this. I wonder if Jack and Agnes will have something in this life? They certainly seem to have some chemistry since sparks flew in their first meeting. And as for Erik, he doesn't strike me as a loving husband. I hope it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik is a push-over and Agnes...is a brat...weird combination but we'll see where it goes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems a strange relationship they have maybe it will work out :)

    ReplyDelete