Thursday, April 26, 2012

Winter Legacy -22-


It was decided that Jaylee would live with Claus, he'd arranged to have his house altered a bit so that she could have her own room.  One of Jack's former colleagues would be doing the alterations for a little of nothing, in the mean time, he allowed Claus and Jaylee to stay in his rental houses. 


"Hey Snow." It was late and Claus had just arrived home and showered, but he had to let his family know that he was back, especially Snowie. 

"You're back? What did you bring for me?"

"You're too old for presents Snowie." Claus scolded. 

"A person can never be too old for presents. Oh well, next time then. I'll let Mom and Daddy know you're home. How's Jay?"

"She's good."


Claus peeked through his the sliding glass doors, "I can actually see her sitting in her living room. A friend of hers is coming to visit tomorrow so I probably won't see much of her."

"A friend she met while she was at school?"

"I don't know Snowie, why don't you call Jaylee and talk to her?"

"Because I'm talking to you."

"Cheeky." Claus yawned and stretched as best he could with the phone to his ear. "I'm turning in now, I'm exhausted."

"Goodnight Claus."

"Goodnight Snowie."


"My lovely Jaylee, it is good to see you." Andre greeted Jaylee.

Jaylee took a moment to admire Andre, he was a handsome man. His big eyes, round face and pouty lips gave him a bit of a feminine appearance but his strong chest and tall stature were all man. 

"You picked the perfect time to pass through Andre, I'm sure Claus wouldn't have liked you staying in his house."

"You are a grown woman, yet you sound as if you require Claus' permission to have company."

"I'm a grown woman yes, but as I am intruding in Claus' house I will require his permission. Now though, I do not require no permission at all."


Claus was not at all happy to see Andre, there was something about the man that unnerved him. If ever Claus encountered a shady character, Andre was it. 

"Jaylee these houses have only one bedroom, just where is Andre going to sleep? You're not going to share a bed are you? And this couch isn't the most comfortable." 

Andre gave Claus a hard look. "I am sorry, I did not know that you were her father."

"I've been her friend for years, I guess that makes me more of a big brother." Claus narrowed his eyes. "You're an explorer? I've never heard of you."

"That's because my journey is my own, I do not seek fame."

"What the hell are you searching for anyway?"

"I seek the fountain of youth."

"You don't say? Well..."

"Boys, the commercial's over, hush." Jaylee scolded.


Jaylee and Andre went for a walk, Claus plopped himself down in front of Jaylee's computer to do some research on Andre Lefebvre. Claus frowned at what he found, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, he just wasn't expecting it. Claus closed the window and cleared his search history, then went over to his own house.


He was comforted by the thought that Andre would be gone tomorrow and hopefully that would be the last of the sickening man for a while.


"What are you doing in my house?" Claus asked without looking back, he hadn't heard Andre enter his house but he felt the man's presence. 

"I came to see if you were still awake."

"Why?"


Andre sat down beside Claus. "Do not play naive with me Claus. You travel with Jaylee, surely you must know what she is, you must know that she has the ability to make you like her, to gift you with eternal life and eternal youth. I wonder though, what it is that you are waiting for?"

"What the hell are you going on about?"

"You really do not know?" Andre smirked. "Are you blind? You must see her flawless skin, how deathly pale it is. Have you not felt her cool touch, seen her eyes glow?"

Claus' mind was racing but he refused to let on to Andre that he'd gotten inside his head. "It's a genetic condition, like albinism. Her mother, and a few others in town are afflicted. I have yet to see them turn anybody."  


"I assume that Jaylee's parents are about the same age as your own, I will bet that one or both of her parents  look no more than thirty. Tell me Claus, how is that possible?"

Claus blinked, unable to find a comeback, Andre continued talking. "Jaylee is a vampire, and I will be damned if I do not receive her gift of immortality."

"You're full of bullshit." Claus said finally. "I've already explained to you, it is a genetic condition, one of the benefits of this condition is that the skin does not wither as a regular person's would. Vampires, that's crazy-talk."

"Or is it? Think about what I've said Claus. Imagine, what would you do with eternity?"


Claus leaned forward, stroking his chin as he thought. "I don't need an eternity Andre. The beauty of living is having an unknown amount of time to do all the things you wish to. If one had forever, then one would never appreciate the little things in life, or one's accomplishments. I don't need an eternity."

"Suit yourself Claus Winter." Andre got up and left, Claus' mind whirled with millions of thoughts, most of them questions.  Ordering his thoughts, Claus decided to ask Jaylee once again where she'd disappear to. He knew that there was more to the story, something had created a rift between the girl and her parents, she didn't visit them once since she'd returned to Sunset Valley, she didn't even so much as give them a telephone call.

6 comments:

  1. I think Andre left Claus with food for thought there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame that Andre seems to want her for one thing, his own obsession with eternity. I wonder what Claus will do now that his brain is churning. His statement was appropriate to get someone off his back, but his little brain is working I bet. Very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He goes and does something Claus-like, I guarantee he'll make you angry before he makes you love him ;)

      Delete
  3. I know that Andre wants Jaylee to turn him, but I think that he is interested in more than that!

    I hope that knowing that she is a vampire will not make Claus say or do something that hurts Jaylee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Claus isn't exactly sure what Jaylee is yet, but he's Claus, he won't rest until he finds out

      Delete